Winners and losers under Medicare drug plan in Trump budgetFebruary 13, 2018 9:37pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Some Medicare beneficiaries would face higher prescription drug costs under President Donald Trump's budget even as the sickest patients save thousands of dollars, a complex trade-off that may make it harder to sell Congress on the plan in an election year.

In budget documents, the administration said its proposals strike a balance between improving the popular "Part D" prescription benefit for the 42 million seniors enrolled, while correcting design flaws that increase program costs for taxpayers. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar is scheduled to testify on the budget Wednesday in Congress.

Trump has made bringing down drug costs a top priority, but his administration's plan would create winners and losers. The high cost of medicines is the leading health care concern among consumers.

Independent experts said the administration's plan will help beneficiaries with the highest prescription drug costs, those whose individual bills reach a total of more than $8,418 apiece.

In 2015, about 1 million Medicare beneficiaries had costs that high, which qualified them for Medicare's "catastrophic" coverage. Above the threshold for catastrophic coverage, patients only pay 5 percent of the cost of their medications. That can still amount to thousands of dollars for very expensive drugs. Under the budget proposal, once seniors reach catastrophic coverage they would no longer face copayments.

But there could be more losers than winners.

About 4.5 million seniors in the group just behind those with the highest drug bills could end up spending more of their own money. That's because the budget proposes a change in how Medicare accounts for manufacturer discounts received by patients whose total bills range between $3,750 and $8,418. They could wind up paying about $1,000 more.

A senior Senate Democrat said the Trump plan missed the mark.

"Instead of picking winners and losers and leaving big pharma unscathed, the president should follow through on his promise to lower high drug prices by getting Republicans in Congress to work with Democrats on behalf of Americans who are getting clobbered at the pharmacy counter," Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said in a statement. Wyden is the ranking Democrat on the Finance Committee, which oversees Medicare.

"The package reduces costs for some but increases costs for others, and the effect on premiums is not clear," said Tricia Neuman, a Medicare expert with the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation. Also unclear is how the Trump plan interacts with changes to the Medicare prescription plan enacted by Congress just last week.

Medicare's prescription drug benefit is delivered through private insurance plans. Here's more detail on the trade-offs for beneficiaries:

— While the budget eliminates cost sharing for Medicare beneficiaries who reach the program's "catastrophic" coverage threshold, a second group just behind the sickest patients would lose ground financially.

— Currently Medicare counts manufacturer discounts received by patients in this second group to calculate total spending that determines when they qualify for catastrophic coverage. That practice would stop, meaning beneficiaries would have to spend more of their own money to reach the threshold for catastrophic coverage.

— Overall, fewer beneficiaries would qualify for catastrophic coverage because of the change in how Medicare counts manufacturer discounts.

"While the new proposal caps total out-of-pocket spending, it adds potentially thousands of dollars to what patients will have to spend to get to the cap, relative to what they spend today," said Peter Bach, director of Memorial Sloan Kettering's Center for Health Policy and Outcomes.

Bach said he expects many more Medicare beneficiaries would be losers under the plan.

In other Medicare drug changes, the budget calls for requiring insurers to share manufacturer rebates with patients, and it expands coverage for medications to treat substance abuse.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

A man walks into the Center for American Progress, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018, at their office in Washington. The major liberal policy group is raising the ante on the health care debate with a new plan that builds on Medicare to guarantee coverage for all. Called “Medicare Extra for All,” the proposal to be released Feb. 22, 2018, by the Center for American Progress gives politically energized Democrats more options to achieve a long-sought goal.(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Liberal group proposing plan for health coverage for all
FILE- In this April 28, 2017 file photo, Dr. Salomon Melgen arrives at the federal courthouse in West Palm Beach, Fla. A federal judge is likely to sentence Melgen, a politically prominent Florida eye doctor to about two decades in prison for stealing $73 million in one of history's largest Medicare frauds. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Marra will sentence Melgen in West Palm Beach on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018. (Lannis Water/Palm Beach Post via AP, File)
Florida doctor facing long Medicare fraud sentence
Florida eye doctor gets 17 years for Medicare fraudA federal judge has sentenced a politically prominent Florida eye doctor to 17 years in prison for stealing $73 million in one of history's largest Medicare frauds
Nancy Pelosi warns of tax cut effects during Phoenix visitU.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told supporters in Phoenix Tuesday that the Republican tax cuts will have dire effects on the middle class in Arizona and across the nation
FILE - In this Feb. 6, 2018, file photo, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. Perdue is defending a proposal that would cut food stamp benefits in half and replace them with a pre-assembled box of shelf-stable goods delivered to recipients’ doorstep, an idea one lawmaker called “a cruel joke.” (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File)
Perdue to food box critics: Give the idea a chance
FILE - In this Dec. 24, 2017, file photo, President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate is seen in Palm Beach, Fla. Special interests are holding meetings at properties owned by President Donald Trump, putting money in his pockets as they seek to influence his administration. An Associated Press analysis of the interest groups that visited Trump properties in the first year of his presidency found several instances that at least created the appearance of “pay for play.” (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)
Book Trump? Interest groups press case at his properties
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices