Judge wants to ensure 'Wolf of Wall Street' is paying backMay 17, 2018 1:39am

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge in New York City says she wants to make sure real-life "Wolf of Wall Street" Jordan Belfort continues to pay back the nearly $100 million he owes in restitution.

The judge told Belfort's lawyers Wednesday at a garnishment hearing that she's focused on getting his roughly $97 million investor restitution "back on track" almost 20 years after his conviction. The Daily News reports Belfort pleaded guilty to securities fraud and money laundering in 1999.

Belfort has so far paid off about $13 million of an owed $110 million in restitution.

His attorney says she's happy to get Belfort on a compensation schedule. He did not appear in court for the hearing.

Belfort was the subject of the 2013 film "The Wolf of Wall Street" starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Sentence next for Detroit-area body parts brokerProsecutors are seeking a 14-year prison sentence for a Detroit-area man convicted of dealing diseased body parts for medical training
NRA appeals ruling that it must use real names in lawsuitThe National Rifle Association is appealing a ruling that the group must disclose the names of two teenagers if it wants to use them in a lawsuit challenging Florida's new gun law
FILE - In this April 26, 2018 file photo, Michael Cohen leaves federal court in New York City. Criminal investigators are finally getting to study materials seized in raids on the home and office of President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Cohen. Their ability to work with the results of the raid were delayed for weeks after attorneys for the attorney, Cohen, went to Manhattan federal court to get a role in deciding what should be subject to attorney-client privilege. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)
Investigators finally get look at materials from Cohen raid
FILE - In this Wednesday, April 19, 2017, file photo, chef Mario Batali attends an awards event in New York. The New York Police Department is investigating allegations of sexual misconduct leveled celebrity chef Mario Batali. The NYPD confirmed the probe following a “60 Minutes” broadcast Sunday, May 20, 2018, in which an unnamed woman accused Batali of drugging and sexually assaulting her in 2005. Batali issued a statement denying he assaulted the woman. (Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP, File)
NYPD probing sex allegations against Mario Batali
Hillary Clinton to receive prestigious Harvard medalHillary Clinton is being honored with a medal during Harvard University's graduation week
Graphic shows the increase in the number of women in jail from 1980 - 2016. EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE MONDAY, MAY 21, 2018, AT 12:01 A.M. EDT.;
A crisis intensifies: Addiction lands more women behind bars
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices