California man charged in Kansas for fatal hoax callJanuary 13, 2018 12:25pm

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A California man accused of making a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in Kansas has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Tyler Barriss made his first court appearance in Kansas via video link from jail on Friday following his extradition from Los Angeles. The 25-year-old is also charged with giving false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer. Bond was set at $500,000.

A message left for the local public defender's office wasn't immediately returned.

Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett told reporters following the brief hearing that he is still reviewing whether any charges will be filed against the police officer, and once he makes a determination that decision would be made public. He said he was awaiting a final autopsy report.

The hoax call reportedly was made after a dispute over a small wager online in a "Call of Duty" online video game tournament, according to Dexerto, a news service focused on gaming.

An investigation is still ongoing as to other people alleged to be involved in a game online, Bennett said, adding that involves a forensic analysis of machines, phones and computers.

"There is no other situation quite like this to reference," Bennett said. "I am not going to stand right here and say I am not considering anything else. That would be untrue."

Bennett acknowledged the "sort of novelty" of the case, noting the public interest in it and questions about whether lawmakers may need to change laws when it comes to computer-related crimes.

"The law is catching up with technology," he said. "I guess I am stating what seems fairly obvious to me without making commentary about this case."

In Kansas, involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence of 31 to 136 months, depending on a defendant's criminal history, Bennett said.

Prosecutors allege Barriss was in Los Angeles when he called police on Dec. 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at a home in Wichita, Kansas.

The caller who phoned Wichita police said in a relatively calm voice that he had shot his father in the head and was holding his mother and a sibling at gunpoint, according to the 911 recording. He said he poured gasoline inside the home and "might just set it on fire."

When police responded to the address, an officer fatally shot 28-year-old Andrew Finch after he opened his door. Police have said he moved a hand toward his waistband and an officer, fearing he was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot and killed him. Finch was unarmed.

Barris has a history of making such hoax calls, which are sometimes called "swatting."

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this June 20, 2017, file photo, former Milwaukee police officer Dominique Heaggan-Brown appears in Milwaukee County Court in Milwaukee. Heaggan-Brown, who was acquitted of fatally shooting a black man, sparking two nights of riots, pleaded guilty, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018, to lesser charges in sexual assault cases that had gotten him fired. (Michael Sears/Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
Ex-Milwaukee cop pleads guilty to soliciting prostitution
Former officer files self-defense claim in shooting deathA former Florida police officer charged with manslaughter and attempted murder in the shooting death of a black motorist is claiming self-defense under the state's "stand your ground" law
Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther announces $2 million in additional funding to improve safety in the city, including the hiring of an additional 30 police officers this year, on Wednesday, Jan., 17, 2018, in Columbus, Ohio. The announcement follows a record 143 killings last year and several homicides already this year. Ginther says the extra money will help police solve homicides and address gang violence. (AP Photo/Andrew Welsh-Huggins)
Mayor says city will hire 30 more police officers for 2018
New Mexico man in front-end loader chase shot by deputiesNew Mexico authorities say a man who used a front-end loader to try to flip an SUV and led deputies on a chase is hospitalized after being shot by sheriff's deputies
FILE - In a June 1, 2017 file photo, Desmond Ricks listens to Judge Richard Skutt during a hearing in Detroit. Ricks, who spent 25 years in prison for murder before proving he was the victim of police misconduct was awarded $1 million on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018, under a state program that compensates the wrongly convicted. Ricks was released from prison last May when new tests showed that bullets recovered from the body didn't match the gun that was presented as the weapon in the slaying. (Clarence Tabb Jr./The Detroit News via AP_FIle)
Detroit man awarded $1 million for wrongful conviction
Authorities: Deputy fatally shoots teen in Ohio courtroomAuthorities say a deputy fatally shot a 16-year-old boy in an Ohio courtroom when a fight broke out
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices